What's this about?

Ladies and gents our story begins with our author who one day packed up his bags to spend the next 5 years of his life on some tropical island far far away. This land is not like any place he has ever been to before. There is no telling of what he may encounter during his stay there but one thing is sure he is going to be in for one crazy adventure. And this is where you get to read about it.

What you say?


Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix

Readers beware!

The stories told here maybe appear larger than in real life and at times may even appear outlandish. However, all actual events are in fact real (well, most of them). What may appear as a distortion of reality to some may only be due to the author's perspective of the actual events. Some say he is just not right in the head.

Friday, March 31, 2006

Pasalubong

So the nightmare of first year medicine is finally over. In just a few more days I'll find my self sitting on a plane heading back home. But until then there's the task of buy everyone back home souvenirs. Joy, joy, joy.

So that's what I and my guide, (Who shall remain nameless because of the fear of prosecution. The poor girl gets teased enough when ever we are seen together. ), set out on a 12 hour tour to do in Manila's bargain district.

We first started out our little adventure in Tutuban mall and then headed over to Cluster mall and the Divisoria. The places were crowded. Out on the streets it kind of reminded me of those movie scenes where the good guy is chasing some bad guy through a crowded Asian market place. The stalls are packed together almost as tightly as the people walking by. Just about anything you want is for sale, well except for the wooden slippers that my little cousin's wanted me to get, but they had just about everything else and it was all so cheep too. They were selling Rolex, Tag, and Omega watch brands for only around $30. They also had Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Burberry, and Coach wallets and bags going around for less than $10.

Can you believe that? In the States you could spend hundreds and even thousands of dollars on these things but for less than a hundred bucks you can walk away with more bling than what Paris Hilton would normally sport. Yeah, I know what you are thinking. Something is definitely wrong about this. We're getting ripped off buying that stuff in the States people.

As we left the Divisoria to head over to the other shopping center, Quiapo, we decided to ride a kalesa. The kalesa is a small single horse driven carriage big enough to sit two people and the driver. It was the first mode of transportation in Manila. Even though the Manila streets don't look anything like back when the Spanish first arrived the ride had a rustic awe to it as we navigated through the crowded streets with plenty of on lookers. You would think that it would be my guide who sat there giddy with excitement but no it was I. (Hey, it was my first time so lay off. ). Anyway that was until the jeepni's started blowing exhaust in our faces. It was cool though. At least an experience to remember.

In Quiapo you could find some of things that you wouldn't normally find in an average mall, things that pertain to the supernatural. All around there were vendors who could sell you potions for solving matters such as love and ones that could even take care of any problems that may arise if the love potion works a little to good, if you know what I mean. We also found this one elder lady selling amulets called anting-anting. Shaped like old bronze relics, they are supposed to poses special protective powers. I bought one that is to protect the bearer from evil spells, because you can never be too sure when some evil witch is going to try casting a hex on you. I also bought another one which looks to be for protection from pedophiles. Hey, I couldn't give everyone the same one.

By the time me and my nameless guide were done searching thru the hundreds of stalls we were dead tired. And you know through out the whole time we were shopping, or maybe I should say I was shopping, I don't think she bought a single thing for her self. Oh, wait she did buy herself dinner and mine too when we went to Wendy's. (Yup, they got that here too, with biggie fires, biggie drink and biggie everything ). Yeah... Well, it's not like I asked her to pay for my meal. In fact I wanted to pay for hers just to pay her back in some way for showing me around but she wouldn't have it.

She's just kind of that way though. Through out my entire stay on this island she has been one of nicest and sweetest girls I've met. And even after hearing all the crazy stories about Filipino women and even having some of my own personal experiences she's someone who could still actually make you want to go out and look for a pinay who's just like her. Well, that was until we started eating. Let's just say after hearing about chocolate pudding with ketchup and bubble gum with wrappers I'm having second thoughts. It might be in my best interest just to not to even bother looking for anyone out here and just remain single.

Then again as I'm sitting here picking the blacken snot out of my nose and reading her text messages threatening to kick my ass, I don't want to make her out to sound too bad. After all that she went thru a lot just to show me around. That has still got to count for something right? So how about we say 30% of her is concentrated sweetness and the other 70% you just better watch out for.

Thank you my nameless guide for showing me around. I just want to let you know I really appreciated the time you gave up for me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous OmegaSeamaster said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home