What's this about?

Ladies and gents our story begins with our author who one day packed up his bags to spend the next 5 years of his life on some tropical island far far away. This land is not like any place he has ever been to before. There is no telling of what he may encounter during his stay there but one thing is sure he is going to be in for one crazy adventure. And this is where you get to read about it.

What you say?


Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix

Readers beware!

The stories told here maybe appear larger than in real life and at times may even appear outlandish. However, all actual events are in fact real (well, most of them). What may appear as a distortion of reality to some may only be due to the author's perspective of the actual events. Some say he is just not right in the head.

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Arlene's warning

Before I had left for my first visit to the Philippines my co-worker told me how the students here are so oddly competitive. I sort of just brushed her off as it being an isolated incident but now after entering my second semester here I can see her point. Today I was the last person to take the histology practical but for some reason I wasn't the last person to leave the lab. After I had finish taking the exam and walked out the door several of my other classmates staid behind to wait for the professor to correct my paper to see how I faired. Why were they so concerned with my grade when it has nothing to do with them? Is it because they care? I don't think so. I didn't do very well and no one came to me later trying to ask me if I need any help with my studies. So why wait around after class just to see my grade? Simple curiosity? It's more than curiosity. This was not a one time only event. Some people are always snooping into other people's grades. I don't want to go into naming any names here, *cough* Mitch, but there are people who do. Maybe it's just an assumption but it seems to me they just want to see how they stack up against everyone else. Well, I guess if it helps them to know how everyone else is doing it’s all good for them. They say competition drives some people. Personally though I don't get it how it applies here. How well I do in class really doesn't depend on how well some one else is doing. Then again maybe I'm missing something. Could it be a cultural thing?

There have been a number of times the professors have told us to hold group studies but I don't think we as a class has had one once. Every professor has been telling our class that we should all help each other out, especially those who are not fairing well. I guess in a way everyone does kind of help each other out by passing notes around and if you ask anyone a question I am sure they'll do their best to answer it. However in all honesty there still seems to be more competition than unity. Something just does not feel right, maybe it's because of the drama we had earlier in the year. I hear a lot of people say that they would like to see everyone else move on to next year but I wonder if that really holds true for everyone.

Yes, Arlene you were right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home