What's this about?

Ladies and gents our story begins with our author who one day packed up his bags to spend the next 5 years of his life on some tropical island far far away. This land is not like any place he has ever been to before. There is no telling of what he may encounter during his stay there but one thing is sure he is going to be in for one crazy adventure. And this is where you get to read about it.

What you say?


Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix

Readers beware!

The stories told here maybe appear larger than in real life and at times may even appear outlandish. However, all actual events are in fact real (well, most of them). What may appear as a distortion of reality to some may only be due to the author's perspective of the actual events. Some say he is just not right in the head.

Friday, August 19, 2005

Should I stay or bail?

No, I'm not talking about leaving the Philippines. Well not yet anyways. I'm talking about this little co-fraternity thing I got my self in to at school. It seemed like a good idea at first, transcribing notes as a group so that when exam time comes around reviewing would be a lot easier. Then with a blink of an eye I was in a whole lot of drama, enough for you and your momma.

Here's the scenario, yesterday a few of our classmates, I don't want to be specific so let's call them Lois' group, wanted to join in on the fun of transcribing. Personally I was cool with it, the more the better especially since we have so much to cover. I thought everyone else was cool with it too but I was wrong. Apparently one of the transcribers, don't want to be specific so let's just call him Jo, didn't like some of the people in Lois' group or didn't trust them or just didn't whatever. I'm not even sure what exactly it was anymore, the story seems to have changed five times already within 24 hours. Anyway, the first reason I heard though was pretty damn childish in my opinion. It was something along the lines of “I won't share my Hot Wheels with you because your mommy won't let us play with your Tonka truck”. Damn we're going back to 1st grade playground rules, but I'm already in #*@% graduate school. Anyway, Jo voiced his opinion but I didn't see a problem with them joining especially for that kind of reason and neither did most of the other people already in our group. However, Jo is a mighty persistent fellow with a head like a brick and he wasn't going for it at all. So he decides to put the whole thing to a vote. Needless to say he was out numbered and the majority voted to let them join. Ah, so the story would seem over but you forget I said he has a head like a brick. Despite all our wishes he takes it upon himself to become the dictator of the group and tells Lois's group he doesn't want them in. Now the drama begins. I was shocked. I couldn't believe it. To me it was like Jo, on top of being childish already, had no respect for the rest our decision. All of sudden I felt our group just became HIS group.

This morning I had a talk with Jo to see what the hell is going on in his head. I'll admit the excuse he gave me this time around about why he didn't want Lois's group to join was something I had to respect. I may not exactly agree with it but I could respect it. However, none of what he said could excuse him for doing what he did when we all agreed to have them help. Dictatorship may have been cool in the Philippines in the past but I ain't down with it now in no way. A lot of the other things he was saying didn't make any sense to me either. He said he didn't want to divide up the group but that's exactly what he did. You didn't even need a psychic friend to feel the tension in that room. He was saying it's 'our' group but obviously it was only his decision that mattered. He was telling me how he felt he couldn't depend on them but I was thinking how can I depend on someone who doesn't care for our opinions?

Anyway, to make a long story short Jo and Lois' group had a discussion today at lunch, all in Tagalog. So I couldn't understand a word. They say it's cool but I don't know. They are Filipino after all, sometimes you have to read between the lines. So here's my dilemma leave the issue alone if everything is cool or just bail before things get worse? The more I think about it too the more things don't look good. You know it's days like this I wish I had people here I could depend on to help me out with a decision like this. Like some of the friends I had back in the states, don't want to be specific so let's just call them Nao and Kevin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home