What's this about?

Ladies and gents our story begins with our author who one day packed up his bags to spend the next 5 years of his life on some tropical island far far away. This land is not like any place he has ever been to before. There is no telling of what he may encounter during his stay there but one thing is sure he is going to be in for one crazy adventure. And this is where you get to read about it.

What you say?


Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix

Readers beware!

The stories told here maybe appear larger than in real life and at times may even appear outlandish. However, all actual events are in fact real (well, most of them). What may appear as a distortion of reality to some may only be due to the author's perspective of the actual events. Some say he is just not right in the head.

Friday, February 03, 2006

Uncle Bert

To tell the truth after hearing so much about him and then finally coming to meet him for that first time my Uncle Bert was nothing like what I had expected him to be. I don't know what I was exactly expecting but it wasn't him. My cousin was saying he would be angry upon hearing some recent news but I never saw it. Now, I couldn't always read what he had on his mind but when he smiled it was like he didn't have a care in the world.

Though I don't think I actually got the chance to spend much time with him, to me he seemed to be your stereotypical Filipino. He loved cockfighting, San Miguel beer, and being with his family especially his brothers. He was also one of the first people to give me advice on what to do if I got into trouble on the streets and what to do if I found myself with a girl from a beerhouse. That's one of the things I liked about him most. He didn't sugar coat anything or try to make excuses, he simply told me how it was. He wasn't an uncle that you had to tippy toe around. You could just be your self and you could tell he was going to be honest and be himself as well. In the end I wish I had the chance to get to know him better but that's how I will remember him the most, down to earth and yet carefree and full of life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home