What's this about?

Ladies and gents our story begins with our author who one day packed up his bags to spend the next 5 years of his life on some tropical island far far away. This land is not like any place he has ever been to before. There is no telling of what he may encounter during his stay there but one thing is sure he is going to be in for one crazy adventure. And this is where you get to read about it.

What you say?


Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix

Readers beware!

The stories told here maybe appear larger than in real life and at times may even appear outlandish. However, all actual events are in fact real (well, most of them). What may appear as a distortion of reality to some may only be due to the author's perspective of the actual events. Some say he is just not right in the head.

Friday, August 25, 2006

Who's throwing the party?

Next month the university I'm attending will hold its annual "Med Night", an event that I don't plan on attending this year but one that the student body officers (SBO) are insisting that I pay for anyway. You know in the States there is a saying that you get what you pay for. And since I'm not getting anything that night I don't get why I have to pay for anything. If I throw a party at my dorm but you don't come I wouldn't expect you to pay for anything.

The Man: "Hey, Ray I'm having a party tomorrow night."
Ray: "I'm sorry man I can't come."
The Man: "That's ok but I want you to get me a case of beer for the night."

Ray: "Ok, I'll pick it up on my way back. You got the money?"
The Man: "Um, no you're the one paying for it."


Would that shit make sense to you? It doesn't to me. Every time I ask them why I have to pay they never give me a reason other than "you just have to". And when I ask them then what would I be paying for they start off with "well, dinner is 250..." Now, just hold $%^& up since I'm not going to the event I'm probably not going to be eating dinner there either. So why would I pay for a dinner I'm not eating? (Refer back to my little dialog.) That doesn't make any sense. It's not like the dinner is buffet style either, people just get one plate, so I'm assuming they will be paying per plate. Just tell the caterer not to make an extra plate that I'm not going to eat anyway and don't pay for it. It's as simple as that. Do people get a monthly bill from McDonald's once a month for not ordering a Big Mac? Well, I know it doesn't happen in the US.

Another thing I don't get is that since this coming Med Night the school will also be celebrating a 25th year reunion for its first medical college alumni, why is it that the students are the ones getting stuck with the bill for the university's event? I don't think any of the students even know these people but their dinner, the decorations, and the entertainment will all be paid for by the students, even the ones that aren't going. (Refer back to my little dialog to put this in some perspective.) Wtf?

Well, I guess it's a cultural thing because it seems that the rest of the students have no qualms about it all, especially the SBO. Maybe they are getting some kick back. I don't know. Anyway, the only thing that they are complaining about is that since the students are paying for the party they should have a say in where they are going to hold it. Finally there is one comment that makes a little sense to me. However, they don't get a say at all.

The university has decided that the night must be held on campus. So let me see, it will be the university staff who run the lights and provide the equipment for the event. Oh and that catering service for their lovely dinner that night is also run by the university. Hmm... So not only do the students pay for the university's event but they also have to pay the university for throwing it. Wow.

Now let's put this in a way so that some you might be able to better understand what is going on here.

The Man: "By the way Ray I'm gonna need $50 from you, that's just to cover part of the hosting fee."
Ray: "Isn't the party going to be at your house? And aren't you the one who decided to throw the party?"
The Man: "Yeah, it is but you know it is my house and you people will be there."
Ray: "But it's your party."
The Man: "Um, yeah. But anyway I'm also going to need an additional $50 to cover the DJ fee."
Ray: "Who's the DJ?"
The Man: "Oh, I am."
Ray: ? "We are going to pay you to DJ at your party?"
The Man: "Yeah, isn't it sweet? It's like I'm the one throwing the party but you are all the ones paying me to throw it. The best idea I had so far."
Ray: "I guess so, but like I said I'm not going."
The Man: "That's ok you're still gonna pay me anyway. That's the beauty of it."


Now, who in their right mind would agree to that shit? If you would I would like to meet you because I'm planning on throwing a party next Friday night.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

man.... i used he shout box.... anyways, my party, my rules. you can't do nothing about that... i need money... i'm not gonna spend money for some other people... its stupid! i'd lose around 50,000 pesos! that's bull... and by the way, you're not allowed to take the party some place else! so you have no choice but to pay me to do my program where i want it and when i want it... you got a problem with that? go find some other school!!!

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say it's time to take a stand! To all you party people people in the house let's go!

10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dr. uncle will pay for the electric bill... hehehe... that's more expensive i guess

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home